Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Secret Spaghetti Sauce


This is Jess, guest blogging again.  Mom and I made a trip to Whole Foods and they had banger pork sausage!  We were so thrilled we purchased 9 pounds of it!  We had them divide it into three pound portions...enough for three meals!  Time to get creative! (note: we choose other sausage now, since noticing that Whole Foods banger sausage has grain in it....)

There's something about homemade tomato sauce that is so comforting!  It is warm, cozy, yummy... and this one is made in a crock-pot.  I put two 28 oz cans of organic diced tomatoes in the crock-pot; along with 1 Tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon of smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric, 2 teaspoons of ground mustard, and 2 Tablespoons of agave nectar.  To this mixture, an ultra-secret ingredient was added...1 1/2 cups of canned 100% pure pumpkin. (Pumpkin is so healthy for you and it thickened the sauce.) I stirred all of this together.  The crock-pot was on low for 6 hours. (If you're in a hurry, you can do high for 3 hours.)  6 hours later, I added 1 container of fresh organic basil (0.75 ounces).

I went about my day... did 2 WODs... practiced muscle-up techniques...spent time with family...

Once my sauce was ready, I began preparing the rest of the meal.  I used a knife to jab multiple holes in a spaghetti squash before I placed it in a square, microwave safe dish.  I microwaved it for 10 minutes.  Then, I rotated the squash 180 degrees and microwaved it again for 10 more minutes. (You might have to adjust this for the size of your squash.)  Each time, the squash got softer to the touch.  Once it was ready, I used a knife to cut it in half and a fork to gently scoop out the seeds.  The strands of the squash scooped out easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, I opened the banger pork sausage and into the skillet it went.  I used a spiral shaped tool to gently break apart the meat.  I cooked it while the squash was cooking.  

Once everything was done cooking, I put squash in the bottom of a bowl and topped that with a lot of sauce and sausage.  Even Ger said, "Mmmmmm, it's good!" with his first bite!


No comments:

Post a Comment