Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paleo Crockpot Apples, Dates, and Pecans


This is one of my new favorites. The dates sweeten up the tart apples, dried cherries, and pecans. The coconut oil and spices make it taste so rich. It's really good for you! Everyone loved it and it smells amazing!


I washed 8 medium Granny Smith apples and quartered them and cut out the core and seeds. I put the quartered apples into a big crockpot. If you have bigger or smaller Granny Smith apples, you may want to adjust. (or any other apple - red organics work just as well!)
Aren't they pretty?


I added: 1 cup dates, chopped (the already chopped dates have added sugar - ( oh, we don't need that)
              1 cup pecan pieces
              1 cup dried cherries ( the kind with no added sugar, or you can use cranberries sweetened with apple juice)
Now for the spices!

I sprinkled over the top:
        1 TBSP cinnamon
        1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
        1/2 tsp nutmeg
Next, I put 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup raw honey in a little bowl and melted it and stirred it. I poured this onto the top of the apple mixture in the crockpot.
The LAST thing I did was pour in 1/2 cup water.
I put on the lid, put the crockpot on HIGH, and waited for 3 hours. It could go longer if you are busy or if you like your apples mushed down more. It could also go on LOW all day while you are at work.

I can't explain how good it is.
You just have to try it.


Now, if you really want to go crazy, put a little coconut milk vanilla bean ice cream on the top of it while it's still warm form the crockpot. WOW!
(I might throw in coconut next time....)
Enjoy! It's good for days in the fridge. If you are an oatmeal eater, it's great on top of that, too. 

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this one. But today, I'm doing the Pumpkin Crunch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turned out good. I bagged it into servings and we were able to grab and go!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to trying this recipe - great idea for your blog, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy this recipe. It's very versatile.

    ReplyDelete