Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Paleo Tacos with Summer Salsa


So, I was going to have grass-fed burgers tonight, but Ger called me from CrossFit Countdown and said, "Mom, Kim has me wanting Paleo Tacos. They sound so good. Can't you make that? Wouldn't that be good?" It did sound good, and thanks to Kim, this is what I did.

I cooked half a diced white onion in a little bacon grease in a skillet. Then I added 2 lbs. of grass fed ground beef, 1 1/2 tsp McCormick Chipotle Chili Powder, 1 tsp Smoked Paprika, and a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

While that cooked, I made up the salsa. I put in a 28 oz can of organic diced tomatoes, ( I poured off most of the liquid) 1 1/2 cups cole slaw mix, 1/2 of a red onion, diced,  2 small organic mini seedless cucumbers, chopped, a splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. ( You can also add fresh cilantro or basil if you like) I stirred this up and put it in the fridge.

When we put them together we used large romaine leaves, the ground beef mixture, the salsa, and then slices of avocado. It was very delicious. We ate like CrossFitters! Ger doesn't usually like cucumber, but he didn't complain about this one.  Isaac slept through the whole thing, but there's leftovers.  zzzzzzz-z-z-z

We forgot all about the roasted acorn squash in the oven! Hey - more leftovers. Tomorrow I will be glad about that!
                             This Summer Salsa will be good on eggs in the morning....

2 comments:

  1. We'll make it again soon. It was so good. Ger ate an acorn squash at breakfast, too!

    ReplyDelete