Monday, April 22, 2013

Paleo Pork Recipes like Paleo Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy


                                         Paleo Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy = yum!

I put a good bit of coconut oil in my pan and let it heat up.

I sprinkled lots of almond flour, Cherry Wood Smoked Sea Salt, (from salttraders.com) and pepper on some thick-cut pork chops and browned them on both sides. I took them out of the pan and set them aside.


At this point I added to the pan:
1 TBSP of coconut oil (there was some still in there, along with the brown bits from the pork shops)
2 TBSP grass fed butter
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic

I cooked this and loosened all the bits in the skillet all along.
Next, I added:
1 large container sliced mushrooms (your favorite - I used Crimini)
 1/4 cup chicken stock
1 can organic coconut milk
sea salt and pepper, to taste (a sprinkle of rosemary, or thyme, too, if you like)
I turned this up and cooked it until it thickened up some.

When I'm in a hurry, I add 1 tsp arrowroot flour just to hurry up the thickening process.

Paleo mushroom gravy made from one of our  Paleo pork recipes

            See? There's no grain. The almond flour and coconut milk thicken things up very nicely. Also, if you don't need this much gravy, you can use less coconut milk and it will thicken up more quickly.

I placed the pork chops back into the gravy and put a lid on it. I turned it down to low and let it simmer for 10-15 more minutes just to make sure those pork chops got nice and tender.  Wow. So worth it!

4 comments:

  1. i love this recipe by the way. I make it about once a week and both my kids (6 & 2) love it too!! very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel,I am glad to hear they love it. Thanks so much! "Kid-approved!"

      Delete
  2. Loved this recipe! I made it last night almost as written, I only used about 1/3 of a can of coconut milk though and it was perfect. I think if I had used the whole can the gravy would have been much too thin for our liking. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I'm glad you loved it. I cook it down until it's thicker, but I am feeding some serious athlete-eaters here on this end..... you've got me in the mood to make this one again. Time to thaw some chops!

      Delete