Thursday, October 3, 2013

Roasted Buttercup Squash


This time of year is so beautiful. I love fall in Kentucky. I love the colors of the leaves turning on the trees on the hillside. I also love fall squash. I hope you track down and eat this type. You should buy one that feels heavy for its size.   This is buttercup squash, yes, butterCUP squash. It's dark in color and very sweet and dense. Yum!  It looks like this:



I cut the squash in half lengthwise. (so there's a right half and a left half)
I removed the seeds and stringy stuff.
I laid the squash in a baking dish with the cut side down and then added about 3/4 inch of water.

I placed the dish carefully into a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. (I stuck a fork into it to be sure it was done. The size of the buttercup squash might change the baking time by 5 minutes either way)

I removed them from the oven and flipped them over. Now, I usually add:
 1 tsp pasture butter (KerryGold)
1 tsp real maple syrup
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
.....and then place them back into the oven for 10 more minutes.

But, last night I drizzled:
Organic Butter Infused Olive Oil
Maple Balsamic Vinegar


These 2 products are new to me and can be bought at flyingolive.com. The flavors are intense and wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment