Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shrimp, Kale and Butternut Squash Soup

     
 This soup is so good for you! Kale is a powerhouse for your health, especially your lungs.

In a stockpot, I put two cans of organic butternut squash, one can of pumpkin, one container of bold chicken stock, a heaping TBSP of coconut oil, and a little water. I stirred that up and let it begin to simmer.  I added 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper.

        I washed and tore a bunch of organic kale. I threw that into the stockpot. (but not too early - I never want my kale too overcooked to the point of mushiness)

 While that cooked, I prepared the shrimp.   Fresh would be best, but mine was frozen. I thawed them in cold water, threw them into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, scooped them out, and threw them into the soup.

 None of this soup gets thrown away in my house.

        I made this one up, not knowing if they'd like it or not, but they've asked for it again, so I know it's a keeper.
        This soup is able to stand alone, too, without the kale or shrimp or either.

       I order the butternut squash soup from Amazon.com or vitacost.com, so don't bother hunting for it in the groceries around here......

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like my kind of meal. I love soup and have been craving some lately. Kale is also one of my favorites. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete