Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dinah's Paleo Pear Cake

   
  Coat a 9 x 9 inch square pan with coconut oil.

  Combine the following dry ingredients in a bowl:
          3 cups almond flour
          1 tsp baking soda
          1 tsp baking powder
          1 TBSP + 1 tsp cinnamon
          1 tsp Valencia Orange Peel (a McCormick spice)
          1/4 tsp nutmeg
  Stir well.

  Combine the following wet ingredients:
          1/2 cup coconut oil, melted.
          1/2 cup raw honey (or less; you get a lot of bang for your buck with raw honey)
          2 organic eggs
          1 TBSP real vanilla

Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir.
Cut up 2-3 pears, depending on the size. Leave the peel on them. Today I used 2 huge red pears. ( I usually use 3 Bartletts - it's all good!) Fold the pears into the batter. (This batter will be thick and chunky) Put batter into prepared pan. Cook at 350 degrees around 38 minutes. I like it kind of gooey.

                                              This is how the batter looks; thick and chunky.
                               You should make this one just so your kitchen will smell like mine!

Is the best part of this cake the fact that it's got no grain and no sugar? Is the best part about the healthy ingredients, like almond flour, coconut oil, cinnamon, and pears?

No, the best part of making this cake is when Ger says, " Oh, it's good, mom. Thanks!"

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this be good for a diabetic? My hubby LOVES the sweets, but he really isn't supposed to have them. I hate to deprive him, but I wanna keep him around, ya know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there's no sugar in it, it's sweetness comes from the pears and agave nectar. I think it would be a great choice. Almond flour is much healthier than white flour, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doesn't last long in our house! Having a piece for breakfast, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Me, too. It's so good with coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this for the first time today and it turned out great! I used honey instead of agave nectar. It was so easy to stir together and I didn't even have to dirty up the mixer! Will certainly make this again. :)
    Thanks, Sis, for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to hear that you loved it. I know what a good cook you are.

    ReplyDelete