Thursday, July 2, 2015

Balsamic Beets with Goat Cheese


When Jack and I were in Key West recently we had a great beet appetizer at Latitudes on Sunset Key.  That was my inspiration for this recipe. I made it this week when all the kids came over for dinner.

Beets have big nutritional value - A recent Dutch study shows that they have a compound that reduces the amount of oxygen your muscles need. Olympians drink beet juice. Beets are trending, and for good reason.  I hope you branch out and try these!

I washed 6 organic beets and cut off the leaves, leaving about an inch of the stems, and set the leaves aside to sauté later. I cut off the root part on the bottom end also. I cut the biggest two beets in half so they would all be done at the same time.









I rubbed coconut oil on the bottom of a 9 x 12 cake pan and placed the beets in there and rubbed them coconut oil. I placed a piece of foil on top of them and sealed it around the edges.

I put them into a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. I pierced one with a fork to see if they were soft.

I took them out and let them cool off for a little while. Then I peeled them. (The peel will slide right off with your hands) 

I sliced them up, added sea salt and black pepper, and poured a little balsamic vinaigrette on them - Flying Olive's Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar gives them an interesting kick! 

I served them with slices of goat cheese. Everyone loved them.
 Leftovers are great hot or cold. They're also excellent diced up and thrown into a salad. So, fuel up, athletes, and let me know how beets are increasing your performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment