Saturday, February 28, 2015

Turkey Bone Broth Soup




Sometimes I just don't have time to simmer bone broth for 24 hours so I try to keep some in the house. There are several brands you can buy or order online. I use Pacific Organic Turkey Bone Broth in this recipe and it also works fine with chicken broth.

Bone broth is so mineral rich. It should turn into a jellylike substance when you put it in the refrigerator. I've been using it as often as possible while feeding Ger Sasser and I know it strengthens him. He and Cassie are both great cooks and I am proud of them for cooking things with bones in them. AND, bone broth is very important for people like me. Let's face it, you can't eat whatever you want as your age increases. My bones and joints need all the support they can get and I can really feel the difference.  So, I made this soup today, concentrating on ease and speed and nutritional content. (It's also seriously delicious)

I browned 1 lb of organic ground turkey in a skillet.
While that was browning I put the following ingredients into a stock pot over medium heat:

32 oz turkey bone broth
1/4 cup quinoa
3 carrots, peeled and sliced

When the carrots begin to soften, about 20 minutes, I added the browned ground turkey into the stock pot. Then I added these ingredients and simmered another 20 minutes:

1 red pepper, chopped
1 bunch kale torn from the stems
1 tsp dried onion
1 tsp Garlic Gold Nuggets (if you'd rather use fresh garlic, add it to the skillet when browning turkey)
1/4 tsp turmeric
pink Himalayan sea salt (more than you might think - bone broth isn't salty)
freshly ground black pepper

So, be strong and get some bone broth into your system.









No comments:

Post a Comment