Saturday, February 21, 2015

Slow Cooker Smoked Ham


Ger's been so busy lately - 4th place Men's Elite in the Orange County Throw Down, 2nd place Men's Elite Team at Wodapalooza Miami 2015, and he and Cassie just got back from training in Miami. We are days from the Open and then he'll be playing for the San Francisco Fire for the National Pro Grid League Season 2.
 In other words, it's go-time. I fed Ger some quality farm-raised protein yesterday when I made this beautiful smoked ham.

I poured 12 oz apple juice into the slow cooker.
I stirred up a glaze with the following ingredients:

1 TBSP stone ground brown mustard
1 TBSP cherry balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP honey
1 tsp arrowroot powder
(optional - sometimes if it's a big holiday I add 2-3 TBSP organic brown sugar)



I rubbed this mixture into the big ham and then placed it cut side down into the slow cooker. This ham was so big I had to work to find a way for it to fit and it's a big oval slow cooker! (Cut a pice off if yours is too big)

I added a bit of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and put the lid on. I cooked it on low for 9 hours overnight.

It made for a wonder get-together for 6 people and I still have leftovers.
Feed the athlete within yourself what it deserves - what it needs to run on for an optimal life. So, find a good butcher and order a smoked ham or two, or find a farm-sourced pig. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment