Monday, March 2, 2015

Paleo Cherry Cookie Bars


I knew Ger and Cassie were coming to the house today to eat Turkey Bone Broth Soup while I was at school. I knew he was doing 15.1 over tonight (I think that may have been a first and this is his 5th year for the Crossfit Open) so I thought the bone broth soup was perfect for strength and joint support for his beastly endeavors. I wanted to add to that through a very healthy dessert and after I thought about it, it had to be something with cherries, right? (reduce post-exercise muscle pain and inflammation, antioxidant protection and more. Here's more: Health Benefits of Cherries) So, it's OPEN season and these cookie bars are OPEN-worthy.

Here's how I made these big cookie bars:

In a large bowl I combined:
1  1/2 cups almond flour  (I always use the non blanched but blanched will work)
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder  (or Cookies n Cream protein, or whatever you like- be brave)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

In a small bowl I combined:
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey 
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP peanut butter  (or almond butter)
2 TBSP water

I poured the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredients and stirred with a wooden spoon.

I folded in:
1 1/4 cup dried cherries (Vitacost brand has these big gooey ones we love)
1 cup unsweetened chunky coconut




I rubbed coconut oil in an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. I put the dough into the dish and pressed it down into the corners.

I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes and then let it cool completely on a rack.

Ger DEVOURED them at lunch after the soup.   He did a mighty fine job on 15.1 tonight, too. You can check out his scores on the leaderboard. Gerald Sasser. The box was fired up tonight!  

No comments:

Post a Comment