Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fried Eggs in Portobello Mushroom


I love to try different breakfast ideas and sometimes they make a great dinner, too. This is one of those fast and easy things. I started off with the portobello mushroom with egg cracked in it baked in the oven BUT the portobello got too juicy for the egg to bake properly and it just didn't work well.  So, I tried it all in the skillet and it was much better.

I put 1 tsp butter in a skillet over medium heat, letting it melt and swirling it around.
I added 2 large portobello mushrooms that I'd taken the stem out of. I smashed them down with a spatula and flipped them often until they were done, but still firm.  I put them out on 2 plates.

I added a bit more butter to the skillet and cracked 4 eggs into the skillet. I ran the edge of the spatula between them as they cooked so I would be able to flip them separately.
I sprinkled them with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

When they were done I placed them on top of the mushrooms, added parsley and 1 TBSP of guacamole.
Done. This can easily be halved for just one person or doubled for 4. It's beyond delicious with Buttered Sweet Potatoes with Molasses on the side. Seriously, this is a beautiful meal that's easy and economical.


So, this recipe didn't work out the first time but I tried a different approach. Life is like that. You sometimes have to let the old habits just fall away and be brave enough to try new things. Who knows what you might uncover?


No comments:

Post a Comment