Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Paleo Pot Pie



Ger got a PR today on Isabel - 1:49. (It's already 1:39 now!) Maybe this new pale chicken pot pie had something to do with that!
He had asked me to "try to do a Chicken Pot Pie, very healthy." (well, of course) Here's what I did:

I rubbed coconut oil in my dutch oven. You might use a big Pyrex or stoneware dish, but I hadn't made it before and I didn't know how big it would be....and I always go big.
I diced 4 huge chicken breasts and cooked them in 3 TBSP of coconut oil in a skillet. I tok the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.

In the same skillet I put 2 more TBSP coconut oil and 5 organic carrots, peeled and chopped. ( Don't be tempted to use those carrots in the bags that are already peeled - they've been sprayed with chlorine. Oh, yes.) The carrots take the longest to cook, so I just stirred them once in a while as I prepped the other ingredients.
I diced 2 organic sweet onions and added them to the skillet and stirred.
Next, I cut 1 handful of french green beans into bite-sized pieces, and threw them in.
I threw in one 8 oz container of sliced baby portabella mushrooms. (use your favorite)

I washed and tore and removed the stems of 4 cups of organic kale. I threw it into the skillet, too. It barely fit, at first, before it cooked down some.

The last thing to go into the skillet was 2 TBSP fresh Thyme, 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

I put a lid on all of that and let the steam cook them toward tender for around 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
 I set the lid aside and added 3 cups all-natural chicken stock and brought it to a boil. I turned it down a little and let it simmer for a few more minutes.

Nest, I needed a way to thicken it in a healthy and paleo kind of way, so I put 3 TBSP coconut cream concentrate in and stirred and let it simmer until it thickened. (If you want to add a TBSP of arrowroot powder or tapioca starch or even cornstarch, go ahead....)

When it was thicker, I poured all this beautiful goodness into the dutch oven and made the "biscuity paleo crust."

For the biscuity paleo crust, I put these things into a small mixing bowl:

1/2 cup pasture butter (from grass-fed cows, like KerryGold)
1 1/4 cupalmond flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
I smashed the butter into the other ingredients with a fork because I didn't want to get my big mixer out for this little job.
Then I added 4 egg whites. These were very large farm-fresh eggs. I whisked that all up with the fork, too, smashing any big clumps. It was frothy and biscuit-dough-ish looking, as you can see in the pic, above. So, I added 2 more TBSP of almond flour and it looked just right. Adjust as necessary.

I put the crust mixture and spread it out some. I put the dutch oven (WITHOUT the lid) into a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

We all wanted more crust on top next time, so be forewarned.....
If you don't have coconut cream concentrate yet, tropical traditions has the best. (tropicaltraditions.com)

I need to make this again soon! Let me know how you tweaked yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment