Monday, January 21, 2013

Paleo Cocoa Goji Pudding


My mom taught me how to make a mean vanilla cream pie, LONG before anyone was eating paleo. Cocoa turned it into the best chocolate pie; one that was well-known at church dinners and family celebrations for decades. This long week-end gave me time to try to turn the idea of that creamy pudding into some kind of paleo treat. We loved it.
Isaac didn't eat his when the rest of us did. Ger said he just couldn't resist - and he ate Isaac's bowl of this pudding, too! So, obviously, I have a hit on my hands......and I have to make it again!

If you don't have goji berries, make it anyway. But, consider ordering some. They are a powerful food! I get mine from nuts.com. Whole Foods and Amazon are other sources.

I put the following ingredients into a saucepan and stirred them up:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP + 1 tsp dark cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup agave nectar, or  local honey
1/3 cup almond flour

I added 2 cups coconut milk. THEN I put the saucepan on the stove, over medium heat, and cooked it, stirring constantly, until really bubbling, and then 2 more minutes.

I took it off the heat. I quickly separated two egg yolks from the whites. (I saved the whites to add to tomorrow's scrambled eggs.) I whisked the egg yolks in a little bowl and added 3 TBSP of the mixture from the saucepan into the whisked yolks and stirred. Then, I poured this right back into the saucepan and put it back on the stove. I cooked it 4-5 more minutes, letting it get bubbly again. I took it off hte heat.

I added:
2 TBSP pasture butter
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips
1/3 cup goji berries (optional)

 I stirred this up and poured it into 4 cute little bowls and put them into the refrigerator while we ate dinner.

This recipe may look long, but it really doesn't take very long to make. Let me know how it goes, or what you might add instead of goji berries.  Food is your fuel.



No comments:

Post a Comment