Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin


This was my New Year's Eve dinner for Ger, Cassie, and Isaac. We wanted to stay home to celebrate the "in with new, out with the old year" thing with a great meal. we knew we probably wouldn't make it until the ball dropped - I think only Isaac rang in the new year! (Hey! Sleep is very important!)

I patted dry a 4 lb natural boneless center-cut pork loin and seasoned it with Cherry Wood Smoked Sea Salt (salttraders.com) and freshly ground pepper.
Next, I heated 2 TBSP coconut oil in a skillet with medium high heat. I put the pork loin in the skillet.


I browned the pork loin on all sides. I browned the top and bottom around 5 minutes each. I stabbed it with a carving fork while browning the other 4 sides, to help hold it up so it was really browned on all sides. The little sides didn't take long to brown.

I moved the pork loin to a plate, to let it cool for a few minutes. Next, I rubbed coconut oil on the rack of my roasting pan. I transferred the pork loin to the rack.

Next, I wrapped the top and sides of the pork loin with uncured bacon, side by side, touching, but not overlapping.

This is when I realized I was really on to something! Pork tenderloin is so delicious and uncured bacon makes everything tasted even better, so how could I go wrong? Right? I tucked the ends of the bacon under the edges a little and slid it into a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.

I took it out and carefully turned it over. I used the carving fork and a big spatula made to turn big pancakes with, to help keep the bacon on the pork loin as I turned it over. the bacon didn't stay exactly in place but it didn't matter. I turned the oven down to 350 degrees and put the upside down loin back into the oven for 15 minutes.
When this timer went off, I took it out of the oven and flipped it back over. I had to adjust the bacon a little bit. This last time it went into the oven for 50 minutes. When I took it out, the bacon was crispy and beautiful. I let it stand for 10 minutes, then Ger did the honors with slicing it up.

We had this lovely protein source with oven-roasted cauliflower coated in garlic oil. (garlicgold.com)

I also made up a paleo barbecue sauce for it.
That's going to have to wait. I am getting sleepy......

No comments:

Post a Comment