Monday, January 7, 2013

Moist Paleo Meatloaf with Paleo BBQ Sauce



It's hard to show how delicious this meatloaf was in a photo. All my photos on this blog are shot, so far, with my iPhone, and sometimes they look incredible, but I couldn't get a decent one of this meatloaf. I got rave reviews from the 6 people who ate it for dinner if that helps.

This recipe works with grass -fed beef, deer burger, or any other game meat burger you might have. There's a lot of flavor in the spices, so even people who say, "I don't like the taste of deer meat..." tend to love this meatloaf. It also looks huge when you put it in a 9 x 12 pan, but remember that meatloaves tend to shrink while cooking.


I put into a large bowl:
2 1/2 - 3 lbs of burger. (This one is 1 lb of Grass Fed Cooney Creek burger, and 1 1/2 lb deer burger)
1 egg
1 small organic onion, diced
1/4 cup almond flour
1 TBSP Garlic Gold Nuggets ( garlicgold.com ) or minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chiplotle chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

I squished this all up with my hands and began to pat it into a loaf right there in the big bowl. Then I slid it out into a 9 x 12 pan, covered with aluminum foil. (I buy the big foil - easy clean-up is important!) I pat the meatloaf out into the corners of the pan.

In a small bowl, I made my Paleo BBQ Sauce. I stirred up the following ingredients:
1 can organic tomato paste (Check ingredients - you don't want any hidden sugar!)
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP agave nectar ( or honey, if you prefer)
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp Garlic Gold Nuggets (or minced garlic)
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
small amount of water or chicken stock, to thin it out a little, but I wanted it pretty thick.

I stirred this up and spread it on top of the entire meatloaf.
I put the meatloaf in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. (If you use a loaf pan, it may take longer, since it will be thicker. I like using a 9 x 12 pan because when I get home from teaching school, and doing the WOD at CrossFit Countdown, I am HUNGRY.)

I put a cookie sheet full of coconut oil covered peeled carrots with Smoked Sea Salt and Basil in the top rack of the oven for the same hour. It was really delicious together!

Oh! I'd made this Paleo BBQ sauce last week to go with the Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin on this site. Try that, too. Let me know how it goes, ok?


                                 Everyone gearing up for the Open, 2013? Food is your fuel!

I want to give a shout-out to 321Apparel. (321apparel.com) They sent Ger $100 in merchandise because he won first place in a competition wearing their apparel. (You just can't see it in this photo..)

No comments:

Post a Comment