Sunday, December 9, 2012

Venison Butterfly Loin


I know a lot of hunters. I know a lot of CrossFitters who love venison. I think I'm on to something with this recipe. It got rave reviews around here!

I was thinking about what to marinate my thawed venison butterfly loins in. I stood in my kitchen, looking through cabinets and the refrigerator..... something rich, and deep, like deer meat is in the first place. Complex.... even...surprising.

Then I got busy!
In a small bowl I placed:

3 TBSP cherry juice concentrate (see? surprising?)
3 TBSP macadamia nut oil ( olive oil would work, too, but not coconut oil because it would thicken up   in the refrigerator..)
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper

I stirred up this lovely marinade. Then I placed my 5 perfect little butterfly loins into this mixture and covered them on both sides. I let them marinate in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour - I couldn't wait any longer. I did stir and flip them once, about half-way through. (an hour would be even better)

I cooked them in my grill pan in a tiny bit of KerryGold Grass-Fed Butter. I poured most of the leftover marinade onto the top of them, too. They cooked about 5 minutes on each side. I let them rest for about 5 minutes before we ate them. THEY WERE SO GOOD! SO GOOD!