Sunday, December 9, 2012

Venison Butterfly Loin


I know a lot of hunters. I know a lot of CrossFitters who love venison. I think I'm on to something with this recipe. It got rave reviews around here!

I was thinking about what to marinate my thawed venison butterfly loins in. I stood in my kitchen, looking through cabinets and the refrigerator..... something rich, and deep, like deer meat is in the first place. Complex.... even...surprising.

Then I got busy!
In a small bowl I placed:

3 TBSP cherry juice concentrate (see? surprising?)
3 TBSP macadamia nut oil ( olive oil would work, too, but not coconut oil because it would thicken up   in the refrigerator..)
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper

I stirred up this lovely marinade. Then I placed my 5 perfect little butterfly loins into this mixture and covered them on both sides. I let them marinate in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour - I couldn't wait any longer. I did stir and flip them once, about half-way through. (an hour would be even better)

I cooked them in my grill pan in a tiny bit of KerryGold Grass-Fed Butter. I poured most of the leftover marinade onto the top of them, too. They cooked about 5 minutes on each side. I let them rest for about 5 minutes before we ate them. THEY WERE SO GOOD! SO GOOD!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if the venison could be swapped for beef? I'm trying to convince my partner to try paleo (which is a losing battle at the moment unfortunately), and this looks like the perfect thing to start him on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it can be substituted for grass-fed beef or bison. Just start feeding him great paleo meals and don't point it out to him? I know a couple of friends who just waited for their partner to notice that there was no grain lately, no sugar, etc! The food was so delicious anyway.

    People also notice a decrease in inflammation, less aches and pains, and more energy. Once you get them started, people hardly ever go back....

    Good luck and let me know how it's going.... and make the Cocoa Delight Bites - they've addicted many people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to cook and help people in their paleo journey. This recipe has even been made with kangaroo. (I've never had kangaroo....)

    ReplyDelete