Sunday, December 30, 2012

Perfect Paleo Beef Shanks


This is my second paleo beef shanks recipe I've come up with and I'm calling this one Perfect Paleo Beef shanks because Ger said he could eat this every day. The other recipe is quite delicious, too, just different.

You know how I feel about the bone marrow slipping out of the bones and thickening up the luxurious pan juices and vegetables and spices....it strengthens your bones;  it's just so good for you, your body tells you it's delicious.... but here's how I accomplished this WOD fuel:

First, I browned 2 large grass fed beef shanks (one was a fore-leg, one was a hind-leg) in coconut oil with lots of smoked sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. (shanks are THICK) I gave them about 7 minutes per side to sizzle. Ger said I was smoking up the house!

While they were in the skillet I put these things into my crock pot:
1 1/4 cup all natural chicken stock (you could use beef stock - I didn't have any)
1  15 oz can of all natural tomato sauce (check ingredients for no sugar)
3 bay leaves
2 TBSP Garlic Gold Oil (garlicgold.com) This is a garlic-infused olive oil. If you don't have that, adjust   and use oil and fresh garlic or minced garlic.
2 TBSP cherry juice concentrate

I put the browned beef shanks into the crock pot and put on the lid. I let it cook on high for 3 1/2 hours.

Then I put in 2 organic sweet onions, chopped, and 2 lbs of organic carrots, peeled and chopped. I let it cook about 2 more hours, until the carrots were tender and the meat was falling off the bone.
That's it. We ate it like we were starving!


Here's a shot of the crock pot just before we ate. Those big grass fed beef shanks are hiding..... Now, imagine that you are looking down into YOUR crock pot.... you can do it!

Please take the time to peel your own carrots - the ones that look like carrots that are already peeled, just to be faster for us have been sprayed with chlorine - yes, chlorine. Google it! Lynn did.






No comments:

Post a Comment