Thursday, December 27, 2012

Paleo Chicken Soup (Who Needs Noodles?)

It's that time of year. Many people are sick with the flu, bronchitis, sinus infections, or just bad colds. No one in this household has anything yet, but it's all around us, so I thought a nice, warm chicken soup would be great for the immune systems of my loved ones. Chicken Noodle Soup - without noodles - is a great idea and making it yourself ensures that it's not full of too much sodium or other ingredients that don't fuel us up and keep our immune systems roaring along, fighting off everything that gets sneezed onto us!

So, show some love and make it for your crew soon.
Here's what I did:
I poured 2 32 oz Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock into a huge stock pot. I added 4 cups of cold water.

I peeled and sliced 3 lbs of organic carrots and threw them into the chicken stock and boiled them until tender. (You know how I feel about those "baby" carrots that have been shaped and dipped into chlorine.....)
While the carrots were cooking, I cooked some natural chicken breasts in a little coconut oil with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I made 6 of them and then cut them into bite-sized pieces.

I put the chicken into the stock pot.
I cut up 2 large sweet white organic onions and cooked them in the same skillet I used for the chicken in a little coconut oil. When they were soft I threw them into the stock pot.
I had 2 leftover red peppers that had been roasted with a little coconut oil, so I cut them up and threw them in, too. (If you don't have leftover red peppers, just roast them while you are cooking the chicken, about 15-20 minutes at 350.)
The last thing I added to the stock pot was 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt, and 1/2 tsp Slap Ya Mama, a white pepper blend. Just use what you have if you don't have that hot Louisiana blend.
I let the soup simmer for another 20 minutes to blend all the flavors.
We had deliciousness along with many vitamins like c, beta-carotene, protein, and I could blog half the day about the wonders of onions....( anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antibiotic, antiviral, and cholesterol-lowering....)

I love this photo. It shouts of commitment; commitment to the upcoming lift. It's like commitment should be to the upcoming meals in our lives. Fuel up!

No comments:

Post a Comment