Friday, December 14, 2012

Gingerbread

I've been craving gingerbread - moist and dense and Christmas-y. I'd been tweaking this recipe, and came to the conclusion that it was just going to HAVE to have a little blackstrap molasses in it. Agave, or honey just wasn't going to give it that deep undercurrent I wanted that just had to be there with the bite of the ginger..... so, I guess this recipe is "Paleo - ish." I just wanted you to know. In molasses defense - copper, iron, manganese, etc!

I wanted Ger to know, too.  I told Ger that in the entire 9 x 13 pan, it had a 1/2 cup of Brer Rabbit Blackstrap molasses...... you should have seen his face. He ate a very small piece, said it was delicious, but he won't go back for any more of it. He is so disciplined.

Well, I had a houseful last night and the rest of us LOVED IT! Steven, Jess, Cassie, Isaac, and I all went back for seconds!  We'd cooked my paleo chicken legs and roasted harvest vegetables, too.

So, who's wanting gingerbread? This recipe's not going to be strict paleo, but it sure beats the other gingerbread recipes full of flour and lots more sugar.

In a small bowl, I measured and mixed:
3 cups of almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

In a large bowl I measured and mixed the wet ingredients:
3 eggs ( take them out of the refrigerator early - you don't want them to "unmelt" the coconut oil...)
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 TBSP Gourmet Garden Ginger (gourmetgarden.com. It's in the grocery near the fresh herbs)
1 tsp real vanilla

I stirred the dry ingredients into wet with my favorite wooden spoon, and placed the thick batter into a 9 x 13 glass baking dish that had been prepped with coconut oil.
I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, then turned the oven down to 225 and left it in there for maybe 15 minutes more. ( You know I like it close to gooey.)
I took it out to cool on my Pampered Chef rack. It was JUST RIGHT.

There were many compliments all around.


No comments:

Post a Comment