Sunday, July 6, 2014

Paleo Butternut Squash Tomato Soup



Ger said this soup was REALLY GOOD, MOM. I was glad to hear that, of course. He's marrying Cassie and moving in twenty-some days and I won't hear that as often as I've been hearing it. I am so happy for them - I see how happy they are, making plans and moving forward with their lives. They make quite a team!!!!!

Anyway, here's how I made this awesome soup.
I halved and seeded one butternut squash. I rubbed coconut oil on a 9 x 12 glass baking dish and placed the squash cut side down and roasted it in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. Then I took it out and let it cool enough so that I could scoop out the butternut squash flesh from the skin and set it aside.

Next, I diced one small onion.
I put 1 TBSP coconut oil in a stock pot and added the onion. I cooked this until the onion was tender, about 5 minutes.
I added:
1 tsp Garlic Gold nuggets   (garlicgold.com) or however you like to add garlic. Fresh works, too.
1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 tsp smoked sea salt  (salttraders.com) or other sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2  15 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cups organic chicken stock

I added the roasted butternut squash flesh last and then simmered for 15 minutes so that all the flavors could blend together.

Really good soup.  (If you want to have a smoother soup, use a mixer, immersion blender, or the food processor in small batches. We liked it a little chunky.)

I served this with my Rotisserie Style Crock Pot Chicken       http://feedinggersasser.blogspot.com/2013/06/rotisserie-style-crock-pot-chicken.html


No comments:

Post a Comment