Monday, July 29, 2013

Paleo Roasted Patty Pan Squash


I love these squash and they are hard to find in my area - farmers just don't seem to grow many of them. I found these at The Wild Ramp in Huntington from the Pottager.

I cut 2 patty pan squash into quarters and then again, to make 8 pieces from each squash. Next, i scooped the seeds out and threw them into the compost.

I rubbed 2 TBSP coconut oil on the pieces and spread them out on a baking pan.

I sprinkled them with minced garlic, (garlicgold.com) sea salt, dill, and black pepper. (Use the herbs you like - I was out of basil....)
I roasted them in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.

You CAN eat the rind of these squash, in case they are new to you and you were wondering.




2 comments:

  1. Excellent, didn't know about being able to eat the rind. A co-workers brother-in-law has a farm and grew these. I have about 30lbs of these things, which would probably cost a fortune at my local organic market so I'm glad i was able to get them for free. Looking forward to trying this and other paleo recipes with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! Slice them, pat them with almond flour, smoked sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper, then fry in coconut oil. This is how I do fried paleo green tomatoes, too!

      Delete