Sunday, August 4, 2013

Paleo Cocoa Blueberry Muffins


It's the last Sunday of my summer break. How could it be? I don't know how this summer snuck by so quickly but school starts Tuesday. Today will be a day at home, prepping for the week, cleaning, cooking, and this new recipe for dense, heavy Paleo Cocoa Blueberry Muffins. (I did get through a 4 hour Professional Development online earlier, too.)
If you are still in vacation mode, ENJOY every minute!

I mixed these dry ingredients in a small bowl:

1/2 cup coconut flour
2 TBSP dark cocoa
2 TBSP almond flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

I put a very small saucepan on the stove, on low, with:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup pasture butter (mine was salted - if yours isn't salted, you may want to add a tiny bit more sea salt in your dry ingredients)

I just heated this until the butter and coconut oil melted. Then I took it off the stove and let it sit a little. (You don't want to put eggs in if it's very hot)
I added these other wet ingredients to the saucepan mixture:

2 eggs
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup maple syrup (or 1/2 cup raw honey will work, but the taste has more depth with maple syrup)
2 TBSP vanilla
2 tsp apple cider vinegar (trust me.....)
I stirred this mixture up and in a few seconds, it thickened. (it's that magical coconut flour thing)
Then,  I gently folded 1 cup of fresh blueberries into the batter.   

I put 12 cupcake papers in my muffin pan and then put the cupcake batter in them with a cookie scoop.

I baked at 350 degrees for 22 minutes. You may want to check yours early because I use a Pampered Chef cupcake stoneware pan. I find that it takes a bit longer.....

I liked these with a cup of Zen green tea. Isaac said organic milk's better with anything cocoa. 



No comments:

Post a Comment