Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie


You know we eat clean a very high percentage of the time.
You also may know my oldest son, Ger Sasser, and his wife Cassie, work very hard in all that they do. For instance, two weekends ago Ger took 4th place in the OCT Men's Elite Division. Here's my favorite photo from SWEAT from all the social media coverage.


Just this last weekend Ger and Cassie were in Miami. She worked with doughnutsanddeadlifts.com and Ger was on the SF Fire Men's Elite Team. Ger, Ben Gerard, and Hunter Britt took second place on the podium!   Here's a favorite photo of two of them, photo by Jason Espeut.


Back to the Skillet Cookie that's not even in the REALM of paleo.  Here's the thing - when Ger and Cassie come over for dinner and they ask for a REAL dessert, I just might get a little carried away. I might feel guilt until I realize it wasn't a cheat day, or even a cheat meal, just a cheat dessert. 

I took a recipe I used to make in a baking dish and tweaked it since I'm all about the cast iron skillet.  I hope you try this one - it's easy and totally worth it.
Here's what I did:
I rubbed coconut oil in my big cast iron skillet.
I whisked these ingredients in a large mixing bowl:

1/2 cup grass fed butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar (don't judge me lol)
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla

Then I stirred in just until combined:

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup flour (I know, I know)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

I put about 2/3 of this mixture into the skillet, saving the rest to go on top.  I spread it out a little with the wooden spoon.

In a small bowl I mixed:

1  14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (I told you I went a little crazy....)
1/2 cup peanut butter, maybe a little more

I poured this into the skillet next.

Next I put the rest of the first mixture on top, in spoonfuls her and there. The last thing to go in was:

1 cup Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips.

I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  


We ate it while it was all warm and gooey and wonderful. We wondered if ice cream might make it even better.
I think it would be good in the fridge for 5-6 days but I'm never going to know for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment