Thursday, January 22, 2015

Blueberry Chia Energy Bites


They might look weird but they are so yummy and pack such a nutritional boost that no one should care how they look. When you make them maybe they will be....rounder?  They are shaped like the inside of my fist. I had to squeeze them so they would stay together.


I stirred up the following ingredients into a large mixing bowl:

1 cup old-fashioned oats (I love McCann's Quick Oats)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips (chips is a misleading word here - it's just the big chunky coconut, not shredded)
1/2 cup almond butter (or peanut butter or pecan butter)
1/2 cup dried blueberries (I used Wild Dried Blueberries from stevespaleo.com)
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 TBSP raw honey

I put the bowl in the fridge for maybe half an hour and then smashed them into balls, making sure that everything stuck together. I'd hope to be able to use my cookie scoop but it needed to be smashed together.

If yours won't stick together well, add more honey or nut butter. This recipe comes out stickier or drier because nut butters can be more liquid sometimes and thicker sometimes. Also, the difference in raw honey and local honey can effect outcomes so adjust as needed. 

You will love having these around as you prep for a healthy week of meals. These make great breakfasts or snacks.


                                                  TBT - Mikko sure has grown......

No comments:

Post a Comment