Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Yak Burgers



Tonight's dinner was a FIRST, and I love firsts. I love to cook new meats. These are YAK burgers. Leslie Koehler and her husband run Koehler's Heritage Farms in Otway, Ohio. She Crossfits down-river from us and met me today so I could feed Ger Sasser some of their Yak, and blog about it. 
They have a Facebook page and here's some of their information.  

Yak info:
Ground/ $10 lb.
Cube steak/$12 lb.
Sirloin/$15 lb.
NY and Rib eye/$20 lb.
Tenderloin/$30 lb.
eggs are still a suggested donation of $3/dozen
Home # 740-372-3282
Les Cell # 740-961-1255
So, this yak burger is like really top-end grass fed burger, which it is, it's just yak. It's lean and grass fed (although they are not certified grass fed yet - ah, red tape?) and delicate and we loved it. 

I wanted to keep it simple, so I would know what the yak really tasted like.  I cooked them in a skillet with coconut oil. I did one pound as 1/3 pounders and one pound as 1/4 pounders. I didn't want to overcook them. There's no game taste at all, just a delicious burger taste!  
I seasoned them with garlicgold.com's Garlic Gold Nuggets, salttraders.com's Maine Cherry Wood Smoked Sea Salt, and freshly ground black pepper. 
When they were done, I added a simple guacamole to the top. They were PERFECT with:
My Paleo Baked Eggs in Roasted Tomatoes were the PERFECT compliment to the perfect yak burger. Those farm-fresh eggs are from Leslie, too. Yum!

Here's what the meal looked like before it was attacked, which is the first photo. 

Here's what Ger looked like in Event 1 of Central East Regionals when he did a hang snatch with SUCH nice form at 280. That put the pressure on Rich Froning to do the same and they tied! (Who can say they tied the champ?)  What a moment!   Then, in Event 7, on Sunday, Holmberg and Sasser both beat the champ. I was one proud mom - and one with no voice! I've been watching these guys all compete for 4 years now, so I know how hard they all work.
I like to think that great nutrition plays a part in this Crossfit love we all have. Please forgive me if you think I've talked too much about all this, or just try to look at it all through a mom's eyes. Thanks, guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment