Sunday, May 4, 2014

Paleo Mango Bars


Someone gave me a perfect mango for my birthday and this is what I did with it today. I made up Paleo Mango Bars - they are based off my Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bars. ( the recipe on this blog with the most page views, by far)  But, the Mango makes them so sweet....... I can't wait to feed Ger Sasser this one!

I rubbed an 8 inch square glass pan with coconut oil.

 I stirred up the following ingredients all at once:
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 heaping TBSP coconut oil, melted
2 TBSP honey
2 tsp vanilla

I spread this out in the prepared glass pan and baked it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.




The next layer is the mango lemon yumminess.
First, I squeezed 1 lemon and set the juice aside.
Then I peeled and cut into slices 1 big ripe mango. I put it in the food processor and pureed it, leaving it a little chunky. I scraped out the mango into the lemon juice and set it aside.
I took a saucepan and put:
 3 organic eggs
 1/4 cup raw honey
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest


I stirred this up. Then I put it on the stove on medium low
. From this point it must be stirred almost continuously or it will make a scrambled egg kind of thing on the bottom, and you don't want that. (although it will still taste good)
 While this started to heat up, I put:
 6 TBSP of coconut oil, one at a time into the egg mixture. I kept stirring.... letting the coconut oil melt and when it all melted.....
 I added the mango puree and the lemon lemon juice. (all at once lol)                                                                I continued stirring til it began to thicken. (If you aren't sure if it has thickened, it hasn't thickened enough! It will happen and it is worth it!)

When it was thicker, I poured it over the top of the layer in the glass pan and spread it out.                                I covered the dish with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours.  This stuff is birthday-worthy!





We loved these Paleo Mango Bars just the way they were, but Ger said they needed something.... like our Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bars need the blueberries. So, I threw some fresh raspberries on there.... and knew that he was right! Even better!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment