Thursday, May 1, 2014

Paleo Dutch Oven Ribs


Ribs. Don't you just love ribs? Beef - pork - bison - ribs are just delicious. I wanted to try some ribs in a deep, flavorful, mom-cooked-these-bad-boys-with-love kind of way.

Here's how I made Dutch Oven Ribs:

I put 3 1/2 to 4 lbs of ribs on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkled them with salttraders.com Smoked Sea Salt and pepper. Then I BROILED them for 5 minutes on each side.

I took them out of the oven and turned off the broiler. This was to allow the oven to cool off a little so I could take out the top rack, to make room for the dutch oven. ( I used to always forget to do this...)

In my dutch oven, over medium heat, I put:
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
2 celery stalks, ends trimmed off, then sliced thin
3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
2 large portobello mushroom caps, cut into big chunks (optional)
1 tsp organic minced garlic (you know I love Garlic Gold)
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves (fish them out later)

I cooked this 10-15 minutes, stirring often.

I stirred in:
 3 TBSP organic tomato paste
1 32 oz container of organic beef broth

I brought this to a boil and then added the RIBS.
I put the lid on the dutch oven and opened the oven door and removed the top rack.
I heated the oven to 350 degrees and  with my best Crossfit squat I put that heavy dutch oven into the oven for 1  1/2 hours so the ribs would be tender and deep-flavored and really good!

What a meal! All I had to do was serve it up. Ger said he especially liked the ginger kick in there.

Good luck with your ribs. Let me know how they turn out.





                                                               Don't those ribs just look epic?


No comments:

Post a Comment