Sunday, April 6, 2014

Paleo Soup with Sausage and Ground Chicken


I also call this "Welcome Home Ger Sasser Soup."  Ger and Cass are home from Sarasota and I knew they'd need to start eating cleaner than you can on vacation. You should see the size of the bowl he is eating this soup out of right now.....

I got out a skillet and a stock pot and put them both on the stove.
I cooked 1 lb of sausage and 1 lb of ground chicken in the skillet.

Meanwhile I put the following ingredients into the stock pot and got them cooking:
1 container of organic chicken broth
10 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small head of red cabbage, chopped (I cut 4 sections off and left the center for the compost heap - sometimes it's bitter)
1 small zucchini, diced
2 cans organic diced tomatoes (or if you are as fortunate as I was, you can use canned tomatoes from your mom's hard work last summer - I love when she sends me home with some!)
1 cup water
1 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 tsp sea salt (if your tomatoes have salt, you won't need much more)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 heaping TBSP coconut cream concentrate (coconut butter - optional, but this gives it a thickness and deepens all the flavors!)

I put a lid on the stock pot and let that cook until the carrots were tender. Then, I added the cooked sausage and ground chicken and let it simmer for 10 minutes.

We sprinkle pine nuts on the top of each bowlful. It really adds something special to this meal.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment