Thursday, April 10, 2014

Green Beans with Ham


You know the food is good when your loved ones eat right out of the stockpot.  These green beans are delicious - just ask Coach Cassie, or Coach Ger.
Green beans aren't bad for your gut like dried legumes are - there are blog posts all over the place that explain both sides, but we all tolerate green beans just fine and we love them, so we eat them. Do you?

I placed a ham steak (about the size of a plate and maybe 3/4 inch thick) into the stock pot. I didn't cut it up or cut out the bone. I knew the meat would break up when stirred up later, and Mikko would appreciate that bone.

I added:
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 TBSP garlicgold.com nuggets if I don't have fresh garlic in the house)
1/2 onion, diced
1  1/2 to 2 lbs green beans
1/2 red pepper, diced (optional and just for color)
2 cups water
1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste

I put a lid on them and cooked them on low, all day, stirring now and then. I think I added a little water once.......  
They are best if cooked long and low, but can be hurried if you watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment