Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cocoa Delight Bites



I wanted something fast and easy and CHOCOLATY!

This is it. It takes maybe 5 minutes and 1 bowl.

In that bowl I put these ingredients for a BIG BATCH:

1 cup chocolate protein powder (We love Progenix. I've used the Myofusion but Progenex Locha Mocha More Muscle makes the very best ones! progenexusa.com)
1 TBSP dark cocoa
1/2 cup coconut oil, NOT melted
2 TBSP raw honey (You may find that 1 TBSP is enough for you)
2 TBSP raw almond butter (or toasted pecan butter - recipe on this site)
1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes ( the chunky coconut chips fromnuts.com is the best!)
4 TBSP coconut milk, as needed, maybe more.

Stir with wooden spoon until a dough-like look appears. It takes a little stirring, and kind of happens all at once. You may need a bit more coconut milk, or if it's too thin, you could add some more protein powder.  I rolled them into 1 1/2 inch balls. I think it made 24.  I put them into the freezer for a few minutes to set them up. Then my crew ate them so fast, I had to rush to get a pic of the last few.

 I took around 140 of them to the CrossFit Countdown cookout and didn't bring any home!
There is also a Vanilla Date Delight Bites recipe on this blog - just put it in my search box.

This is so tweakable. Vanilla protein, or Cinnamon Roll, or Strawberry protein (leave out the cocoa) Or, leave in the cocoa and make them strawberry-chocolate protein balls. They would be different with chunky almond butter, too. Wow!  Let me know what you make yours like, ok?
I took several of these Strawberry Delight bites to school and when Chris Wallace ate hers, she said, "You can't call this a Protein Ball - nobody wants to eat a protein ball. You must call it a Strawberry Delight Bite!" So, there you go - new name. I like it!

I also have Pumpkin Protein Balls and lemon Lime Protein balls on this blog. Check them out, too!

5 comments:

  1. These are awesome Dinah. Really got me through a sugar craving. I'm not big on protein drinks. They always upset my stomach. But I did still have some ViSalus powder left from a while back when I tried it. Anyway I mixed mine with that and it was like a dream after having no sugar for such a long time. Like eating cake icing, lol. Mmmmmm! Really appreciate my "paleo momma". Hope you don't mind me calling you that. I plan to order the Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil soon. Already ordering the meat you suggested. Bruce and I have always been colorful vegetable and lean meat and fruit eaters. But after tweaking our diet toward Paleo I feel much better and still leaning out some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you call me "paleo momma!" I am loving my Tropical Traditions Gold Label and am planning a review on here this weekend. They are going to do a give-away on this blog with me, too, after that. Cool, huh?
    I'm glad you love the protein balls. The ViSalus was a good idea! I want to make the protein balls with my Myofusion Strawberry protein soon.

    When you go paleo, you never have to think about weight maintenance again. I hope more of our friends try it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are delicious! The only problem I had with the ingredients is I failed to find unsweetened coconut. I went with the sweetened coconut so, technically I didn’t make Paleo Cocoa Delight Bites. Next time hopefully, I will be able to find the unsweetened coconut. I also made half of the batch without coconut flakes because some people here are like Woody Harrelson in “Zombieland.” They don’t hate the taste of coconut just the texture. The bites without the coconut weren’t as good so, my Mom mentioned that maybe they would be incredible with nuts in them as well. Next time we might try to tweak the recipe with some pecans. These were awesome and it’s amazing that something that sweet can be that good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven, I'm so glad you liked them. We all love them here. Sometimes you can find unsweetened coconut at Kroger - read all ingredients always! But, the best in the world comes from nuts.com. They have bags of shredded OR flaked. Both are moist and wonderful. I like the flaked cause it's gooier. Their one-pound bags last a long time. See you at CrossFit Countdown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustin wanted me to remind everyone that these will freeze to your container so it's best to put wax paper in the bottom of it.......

    ReplyDelete