Thursday, March 1, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Butternut Cocoa Cake


I love this cake. You will, too.
I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.
I greased a 9 x 12 cake pan with coconut oil.
In a small bowl, I stirred the dry ingredients until evenly mixed:
2 cups almond meal
2/3 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa (or your favorite kind)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried Valencia Orange Peel (it's in the spices aisle)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp espresso powder (this can be left out, or you can use instant coffee)

In a bigger bowl, I stirred up the wet ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted to a liquid
1/2 cup honey (warmed to a liquid if it's raw)
4 eggs
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 15 oz. can organic butternut squash ( I order it from Amazon. If you want, you can just use 2 cans of pumpkin puree, but the butternut squash is SO GOOD!)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
( I have made this cake with 2 TBSP Amaretto, but this is optional)

I added the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture, and stirred until it was all evenly mixed up. I just used a wooden spoon.

I poured the batter into the pan and evened it out with a spatula. Then I placed it into the heated oven for 50 minutes. This moist cake will crack along the top a bit, and pull away from the edges of the pan when it's about done.
It hit the spot when I craved a warm, chocolate....something. And, I got to count it as 2 vegetables!
I planned to get a pic of a piece of this cake, all pretty on a plate, but we ate it so fast, I got distracted!

So, I made it again and took this photo this morning.  And, I make this one for birthdays now. It's a staple around here. SO GOOEY!

4 comments:

  1. Dinah, do you sift the almond flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I don't pack it down though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it and it was really great warm. Since I'm the only one eating it in my house, I warmed up a piece the second day and put an oz or two of dark chocalate that I melted on top. It was like Hot Fudge cake! Pretty great! Next time, I think I will half the recipe and use a 9x9 pan instead.

    Thanks Dinah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You just made me want to make again already! Glad you like it - your family should eat it, too! I loved it at breakfast with coffee. I make most things big because I'm feeding Ger Sasser, our trainer, who's now tied for 10th place in the Central East Region.

    ReplyDelete