Sunday, March 11, 2012

Paleo Bacon Breakfast Casserole


Ger had requested the Tex-Mex Hash Casserole from PaleOMG, and it looked amazing, but I don't have an iron skillet, so I just jumped in and made up my own. Hers looks good though - it has grass-fed beef in it.

Here are the ingredients for my Paleo Bacon Breakfast Casserole:
18 eggs
16 pieces of nitrite and nitrate-free bacon (uncured bacon)
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 12 oz package of frozen cut-leaf spinach
2 sweet potatoes

1/4 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
pepper

I whisked the eggs in a big bowl.
Jessica cooked the bacon.
I put the sweet potatoes in a pan and covered with water and set it to boiling.
I crumbled the bacon, and put 14 of the crumbled slices into the egg mixture. I saved 2 pieces to crumble on top.
I added everything else (red onion, spinach, spices, etc.) into the egg mixture. The sweet potatoes came off the heat when I could stick a knife in them and they were fairly soft. I poured off the hot water in their pan and covered them with cold water. In a minute, they were cooled off enough to peel easily and dice. Then I put them into the egg mixture.
All this went into a coconut oil-greased 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. I put it in  a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. You will want to stick a knife into the center of the casserole to see if your has set up in the center, or give it a little shake.
I put the 2 pieces of bacon, crumbled, on top.  When I cut it, to serve, I put some guacamole on top. I used the Wholly Guacamole Classic. You could make it yourself, too. (But, DON'T buy the kind that has all those fake things and fillers in it. Guacamole should not have soybean oil or any kind of crap in it!)

Here's what it looked like, all prepped and ready to go together. Pretty!

And, here is what will be on your plate! Yum. Try it. Take it somewhere. Let me know how it goes.
There's a little left, if you want to run by for a taste. You can make this and you are good to go for breakfast, or dinner, for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment