Thursday, June 12, 2014

Andouille Sausage Gumbo


I bought 2 lbs of andouille sausage - nice and cajun-spicy - and this is what I did with it. You can use other sausage if you'd rather.

I poured a 32 oz organic chicken stock into my slow cooker.
 I diced the following veggies and put them into the slow cooker:

1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 organic white onion
2 lb andouille sausage, uncooked and cut into 6-8 pieces each





Next, I poured in a 15 oz can of organic diced tomatoes.
I added the following spices:

2 TBSP smoked paprika
1 TBSP Garlic Gold nuggets (garlicgold.com)
1 TBSP smoked sea salt (salttraders.com)
2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I put the lid on and cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hours. (It can also go for 8 on low)


During the last hour I prepped two more ingredients.

I thawed one package of large shrimp, pulled off the tails and threw them into the gumbo.

I pulsed 1/2 of a large cauliflower in my food processor, until it looked like white rice, and scraped it into the gumbo.


These last two ingredients were in the slow cooker on high for over a half-hour. If you do yours on low, they should probably be in there a little longer than that.

This gumbo is real-food, immune-system boosting, cajun-heat delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment