Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paleo Johnny Cakes


Don't these look just like the cornmeal cakes that Granny makes? My mom even calls them "hoe cakes" instead of Johnny cakes. I used to love to order them at the Cracker Barrel, back in my before-paleo days, along with fried apples or apple butter.  I had a slow cooker full of my paleo apple butter simmering and I wanted to try to make a paleo version. I think they turned out pretty well! I hope you try them.

I stirred up the following ingredients in a bowl:

4 eggs, (out of the fridge a few minutes, so they aren't so cold)
1/4 cup coconut oil (tropicaltraditions.com is my favorite)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup organic coconut milk

I stirred it all up and it was thick....


 but if you think yours is too thick, add a little more coconut milk...
Next, I got my skillet heated up and added 2 heaping TBSP of coconut oil. (Bacon grease would be amazing, too)  I put four blobs of batter into the skillet at a time, over medium heat. I waited for the air bubbles to show before I flipped them over, tilting the skillet so there was coconut oil where I was about to put them.
                                                            See those little air bubbles?

We ate them with my Paleo Slow Cooker Apple Butter. They were pretty sweet! We celebrated Cassie's bodyweight snatch today! Yay!

This recipe made 8 Johnny Cakes about 4-5 inches in diameter.


No comments:

Post a Comment