Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Protein Balls


Strawberries are one of the most important places to put your money into organic produce. Strawberries are like sponges and soak up a lot of chemical pesticides that you should NOT be running through your body.
I was on a protein ball kick today. I made two batches of my Cocoa Delight Bites, (made with Progenex Locha Mocha) one for us and one for Jenny. I also made these new ones with fresh organic strawberries. YUM! Here's what I did:

I put all the ingredients in one bowl:
4 scoops vanilla protein powder ( I use SFH or TEN Institute now)
1/2 cup coconut oil, NOT melted
2 TBSP local honey
2 TBSP pecan butter (recipe is on here; almond butter works, too)
1  1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (nuts.com)
1  1/2 cup chopped organic strawberries
4 TBSP coconut milk (once in a while a batch needs a little more...)

I stirred them up with a wooden spoon.  I used my cookie scoop to make them quickly into balls and placed them on parchment paper. Then I popped them into the freezer for 20 minutes. They were so good! 




They make a great dessert, after dinner. They make a great snack. They also make a great breakfast - plenty of protein and so tasty beside coffee with coconut oil, pasture butter, and molasses.

4 comments:

  1. These look great. What are your thoughts on using "regular" protein vs and organic/raw protein? I'm also mostly paleo (cheat on the weekend with the family) and most of my food/protein sources are organic/grass-fed/free range etc. I took a look at my protein powder and the ingredient list is scary. Its stuff I've always used like Myofusion or Hydro Whey, etc. I started looking into organic protein powder and the ingredient list is like 3-4 items all of which I know what they are and can pronounce them.

    What makes you stay with a protein powder that is not organic?

    Love the blog, recently found it so I'll be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sometimes you can't be 100% paleo, or 100% organic. I love Progenex protein, especially the Locha Mocha, for protein balls, like my Cocoa Delight Bites, and my Cocoa Mint Protein Balls.
    I figure you could do a lot worse than a batch of protein balls. They make 16 or so, they have all other ingredients that are as clean as could be, and they are quick, make-ahead, and delicious.
    I do need to try more of the proteins that are organic. Which one do you like bast? (or don't like....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protein I'm most interested in trying is Warrior Force Extreme Chocolate Plus but it seems impossible to find anywhere - http://healthforce.com/warrior-force/warrior-food-extreme-chocolate-plus

      I have a few sample packets of Garden of Life Raw Protein, I typically like chocolate and as a standard I like to first mix it alone in water with a spoon to test flavor, mix-ability, and texture. Texture is slightly gritty compared to say an Optimum Nutrition Hydro Way, but it mixed easily and that taste was not overly chocolaty, it was light. Honestly not my favorite, but I like that its organic and I understand what is actually in it.

      I don't drink a lot of protein shakes like I used to, I try now to get all good quality macros from food intake. I'll have a post workout shake and then lots and lots of food. What I really wanted the organic protein for was cooking treats like this one posted and trying to hide extra protein in food for my kids and for the kids I feel better with it being organic vs. who knows what with a lot of these major brands.

      Delete
    2. Additionally, after reading this article, i don't think Progenex is a company I would like to support:

      http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/industry-news/progenexhackingscheme

      http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Michael-Roberts-Rexxfield-Google-cide-The-Full-Story-Progenex-leaders-Adam-Stuart-Zuckerman-Ryan-Page/Costa-Mesa-California-92626/Michael-Roberts-Rexxfield-Progenex-Managers-Adam-Zuckerman-and-Ryan-Page-negotiate-contr-829020

      Delete