Sunday, April 28, 2013

Angels On Horseback


Angels On Horseback, or Broiled Bacon Wrapped Oysters, are so delicious that both my boys want me to make them again soon, AND make more of them.
I don't know why they have that name but they can be traced back to the 1880s. I love them.

I covered a pan with aluminum foil and rubbed it with coconut oil.
I cut a package of uncured bacon in half.
I rinsed a container of oysters and wrapped each oyster in half a piece of bacon. I laid them on the pan with the overlapped bacon on the bottom, so they wouldn't come unwrapped. (I was out of toothpicks, but it worked out just fine!) I had one piece of bacon left, so I cut the biggest oyster in half, just so everything would come out evenly.


I heated the broiler while I sprinkled them with smoked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
I broiled them for 8 minutes.

I served them with a skillet of "Eat Your Vegetables."  They are traditionally served with cocktail sauce, horseradish, and fresh lemon.
Oysters are so good for you. They have more zinc than any other food. They provide good protein, too, so if you are tired of eating the same thing, make some Angels On Horseback.



No comments:

Post a Comment