Thursday, September 27, 2012

Paleo Roasted Pie Pumpkin


Listen to me carefully. "Pumpkins are not just for decorating."
Repeat after me - "Pumpkins are not just for pie."

You know those cute little pie pumpkins? Pick up a couple of those and roast them. They make a great side dish, especially this time of year. I actually crave them in autumn. They are also extremely good for you.

I had Ger cut them in half for me. ( breaking both bones in both wrists makes this really tough, so if he's here, I get the help. If no one is here to cut them in half, I just microwave them a few minutes in a glass dish with 1/2 inch of water - just until I can cut them in half.)
I scooped out the seeds and the stringy stuff with a metal tablespoon.
I put them, cut side down, into a 9 x 12 inch metal cake pan. Then I added water until it was 1/4 inch deep.
I roasted them in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
I took them out of the oven and poured off the water. I flipped them over and set out coconut oil, Kerry Gold Pasture butter, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, sea salt, and raw agave nectar. Everyone dressed their own pumpkin -half. Yum!

I served the these pie pumpkins with my "Paleo Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins." Delicious!
If you have any left, you can scoop it out and keep it in the refrigerator for a few days. You can use it in place of canned pumpkin, like in my "Dinah's Paleo Cake in a Mug."


No comments:

Post a Comment