Friday, September 14, 2012

Paleo Apple Date Cake


This is a moist and delicious slice of fall! I made this up yesterday and it's almost gone this morning! I started out thinking I wanted to do an apple cookie, so I guess I'll still play around with that one day soon. Kim was my inspiration for this because she picked apples and brought some to me - they were not perfect, flat-tasting grocery-store apples - and they deserved to be high-lighted in a recipe.

So, I wanted extreme gooey-ness. Here is how I achieved that.

I put these ingredients into a saucepan:
1 1/2 cups apple, chopped
1 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup water
I put this on the stove and got it boiling. I let it boil for 5 minutes.
I poured this concoction into a large mixing bowl. (don't pour off the water)

I immediately added 2/3 cup coconut oil and stirred to melt the coconut oil. See? Gooey.

In my 2-cup measuring cup I cracked 3 organic eggs and beat them a bit with a fork. I added:
2 TBSP honey (or maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla
I mixed this and poured it into the mixing bowl and gave it a stir.

I washed and dried my 2-cup measure. (the other one was in the dishwasher)
I put 1 1/2 cups almond flour in there. I added:
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda and gave that a stir.
I folded this dry mixture into the big mixing bowl. I did it gently. I didn't need to beat it to death here.

The last thing I did was fold in 2/3 cup chopped pecans.
I put this into a 9 x 9 square dish that had been rubbed with coconut oil.
It cooked for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment