Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Ricotta, Paleo ish


It's not often that Ger asks for something not 100 % paleo, so I must admit I got excited when he asked for "something chicken with ricotta and spinach."  I remembered how I used to make chicken breasts that took forever - you had to make a slit in one side of the chicken breast and stuff it with the ricotta mixture - it was delicious, but it took too long! I knew I could make it faster, and better because I wasn't going to use frozen spinach like I used to put in it.
So, this isn't really paleo - it has ricotta cheese, but if you want a delicious dish and you can eat a little dairy now and then, try this!

I wilted a 10 oz container of organic baby spinach in a skillet with 1 tsp coconut oil and 3 TBSP water.
I put that in a big mixing bowl.
I diced up 1 1/2 cups of Baby Bella mushrooms and put them into the bowl.
I added 24 oz (3/4 of a 32 oz container) of Whole Milk Ricotta cheese, 2 oz shredded mozerella, and 3 organic eggs. I stirred this up with a wooden spoon and placed it all in a coconut oil rubbed 9 x 12 pan.


This sure didn't look like anything I've cooked lately......

I don't know about you but this seemed like a great way to have the same presentation and flavors without having to try to put that mixture into the chicken breasts. Besides, my crew eats big, and I am busy!
Next, I topped this ricotta mixture with 8 antibiotic-and-hormone-free chicken breasts, smoked sea salt, and freshly ground pepper.


The last thing I did was top the chicken with about 16 oz of a nice sugar-free organic pasta sauce. ( Read the labels - hidden sugar! This recipe may have some dairy but it still doesn't have sugar or grain!)

You can see that you don't have to be all pretty about it - just pour it on there. I put the whole thing into a 350 degree oven for one hour. Done. Fabulous.



This last picture is how it looks when it's cooling, right out of the oven. It's hiding all that gooey goodness in the bottom of the pan. When you put it on a plate, it looks amazing, and the taste, well, you will be glad it made 8 servings.
Of course, you could half it if you wanted to.......

No comments:

Post a Comment