Sunday, September 16, 2012

1800s Cabbage Paleo


This is a take on an old cabbage recipe. We enjoyed it with roasted carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes,  and a pork sausage with no fillers, etc.

I took 1 head of cabbage and cut it into strips. I cooked it in water until tender. ( Some people like it mushier than others - here is where you would adjust. We don't eat ours too mushy.) Then I poured off the water and removed the cabbage from the skillet for the time being.

Then I put 1/4 cup Kerry Gold Pasture butter and the juice of 1 lemon into the skillet to melt and heat up slowly. I removed a bit of this mixture and put in a small bowl. To this bowl I added 1 large egg, to temper it. I stirred it up completely and then poured it back into the skillet. I stirred this and cooked it on low....it should look a little like a custard thing. THEN I added the cooked cabbage back in. When it was heated up, it was ready to enjoy!

So, I thought this sounded odd - cabbage with butter, egg, and lemon? But Ger is always my deciding factor. Here's what he said - " Hey, this cabbage is so good it's ridiculous! I could eat this stuff all day!"
But, it didn't last all day.......

No comments:

Post a Comment