Thursday, May 31, 2012

What are You Eating For Breakfast?



(The breakfast in this photo is two fried eggs with smoked seat salt and pepper along with a side of my Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes)

This morning I had McCain's quick oatmeal with blueberries, a few pecans, two eggs, and coffee. (McCain's Quick Oatmeal is already cooked, so it's fast, but it's still got some heft to it. It's Irish and healthy and a notch better than our old-fashioned oats.) It sounds like a lot of food, but it's what I like to run on.

 Many paleo people don't eat any grain at all and this is the ONLY grain I eat - and I don't do it often - but it doesn't spike my blood sugar and it keeps me going. I don't need sugar in those oats. I eat this breakfast some days with a scoop of protein powder in it if I don't have time to make eggs, or I eat leftovers from dinner on other days.  If I'm in a big hurry, I have a protein shake instead of the eggs. Ger sometimes eats dinner leftovers for breakfast - I got it from him.  (it doesn't have to be a "breakfast" food, right? Who made that rule?)

If I have my Pumpkin Paleo Crunch made up, or my Paleo Apple Pecan Crunch, I can just grab a bag of that and go. A lot of people miss having cereal, so this recipe works for that. It's AMAZING in a bowl with coconut or almond milk. (or grass fed organic cow milk...)

Also, uncured bacon. The best breakfast days are going to have to include bacon, right?  Have you made my Paleo Bacon Breakfast Casserole? That feeds us more than one morning!

All my protein ball recipes are great to make ahead for breakfast too. I bag two at a time in little snack bags and keep them in the freezer. That way, if I need to get out the door in a hurry, I make coffee and grab that.

 SO, what are you eating for breakfast, CrossFit friends?

3 comments:

  1. Boiled eggs most mornings. I can't put much on my stomach before crossfit. I'm not sure I could keep it down. And I don't think I could function without coffee. I also try to squeeze in a bottle of water before I get to crossfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boiled eggs with smoked sea salt or basil - yum! John Rollins also had on FB, "Bacon, and bacon, and bacon!" I do make a lot of bacon, too. Have you ever made it in the oven? It's not quite as perfect, but it sure is faster, and safer lol!

    ReplyDelete