Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Paleo Roasted Beets with Bison Burgers




Beets have big nutritional value - the June issue of Shape magazine says a recent Dutch study shows that they have a compound that reduces the amount of oxygen your muscles need - and most people who don't like them have only eaten them out of a can. So, I hope you branch out and try these!

I bought 2  bunches of beets (mine were organic) and cut off the leaves, leaving about an inch of the stems. I cut off the root part on the bottom end also. I laid a piece of Reynold's Wrap on a cookie pan and rubbed it with olive oil. I placed the beets on there and rubbed them with olive oil. I placed another piece of Reynold's Wrap on top of them and folded all the sides together, all the way around, making them a nice tight tent.

I put them into a 350 degree oven for 90 minutes. If yours are smaller, you could go for maybe an hour, or cut them into pieces, but I like them whole because they are red and messy when you cut them up! Stick a paring knife into them to see if they're soft and done.

I took them out and let them cool off for a little while. Then I peeled them. I sliced them up and sloshed a little balsamic vinaigrette on them - this gives them an interesting kick!

I had them with bison burgers, sprinkled with smoked paprika, turmeric, pepper, and sea salt. Yum! I topped them with uncured bacon.

This is what they looked like before they went into the oven to roast. I apologize for the top photo. I made this again, and forgot to shot another photo. Next time....



No comments:

Post a Comment