Thursday, May 3, 2012

Roasted Acorn Squash




Acorn squash are filled with vitamin c, potassium, and manganese. They are a perfect healthy, low-calorie carb.
First, I cut each acorn squash in in half. I put them cut-side-down in a 9 x 12 baking pan and added almost a half-inch of water. I cooked them in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes. This makes them soft and ready.

The last thing I did was take them out of the oven and pour out the water. I turned them UP, (like in the pic) and added to each piece:
1 tsp coconut oil or pasture butter
1/2 tsp grass fed (pasture) butter  (this is optional, but so delicious)
1 tsp honey or maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
cinnamon (I didn't measure - I just shook it on there!)
(macadamia nut pieces optional)

I put them back in the oven for 10 minutes. (They might done enough to just add the toppings and eat them - they'll be hot enough to melt your coconut oil)

All you need is some quality protein for another AMAZING meal!  Maybe there will some left to take to work in your lunch....