Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pork Loin in a Dutch Oven


This is the dinner I made on President's Day. I needed to be home all day since it cooks long and slow in the oven - but that's what makes it SO TENDER AND JUICY.

I made up a rub with 1 TBSP melted coconut oil, 1 tsp Turmeric, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and all the fresh Rosemary (chopped) I had, which was at least a heaping TBSP full. (More would be ok!) I stirred this up and rubbed it into a 5 lb boneless pork loin. I used all of it.  The Turmeric left my hands yellow, but it's so good for us, I don't mind.

I don't have a roasting rack, so I just made one. (You can see it under the edge of the roast.) I took a long strip of foil and kind of rolled it up, then bent it into a "W" shape.) I laid this in the bottom of my beautiful green dutch oven. This kept the roast off the bottom of the pot. Next, I put the roast into the pot, making sure that the FATTIEST side was on top. This keeps the roast moist and tender and doesn't let it dry out on top at all.  I did not put a lid on it at any time!  This went into a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. THEN I turned it down to 250 degrees until done. My roast took 2 1/2 hours.  Amazing.

In the last few minutes, I put asparagus and grass-fed butter into my grill pan for a few minutes.

This meal is worth the time it takes! It costs less than eating out, and I know there aren't any hidden calories or bad ingredients. I know the cook washed her hands, too! (Do you worry about that when you eat out?)

Let me know how it goes.
Good luck to everyone doing the Open. Go, CrossFit! We love our sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment