Saturday, February 18, 2012

Paleo Spinach Bacon Pizza


I have to give credit to Sarah at Everyday Paleo. I LOVE her pizza crust at everydaypaleo.com. I use it just like she does, just with a little less fresh rosemary AND I always double it!

So, here's Sarah's crust:

"2 cups almond meal
2 eggs
3 TBSP olive oil
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 TBSP fresh rosemary, chopped

Preheat your oven to 350. Using a spoon mix all crust ingredients together until it becomes very thick.  Using your hands, form the crust into a ball.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. (I used coconut oil.) Place the ball of dough in the center of your cookie sheet, and using your hands push and pat the dough down in the shape of a circle or oval.  You want to make the dough as thin as possible.  Your pizza will be about 12 inches across. Bake JUST the crust in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes."        - Sarah, Everyday Paleo

Now, here's what I did to top my Paleo Spinach Bacon Pizza:
(remember, I doubled Sarah's crust)

I chopped 1/2 a white onion, a red pepper, and a yellow pepper. I put that all in a large skillet along with a heaping TBSP of coconut oil and cooked over medium-high heat until softened, (maybe 4-5 minutes) stirring often.  Next, I added a big container of organic baby spinach, a handful at a time, stirring, to wilt. This took about 2 minutes. I put this mixture in a big colander and pressed on it with a spoon, to get as much liquid out as possible. ( I think it would make the crust soggy if I didn't do this....) Then, I opened a jar of Mezzetta Tomato Basil Sauce and spooned and spread sauce over the crust.  I didn't put too much, again, so I wouldn't make the crust soggy.  (When you shop, read the ingredients and look for a sauce with out sugar.)

Then I split the spinach - pepper - onion mixture between the 2 crusts and spread it out to the edges.  The last thing I did was cook 12 pieces of UNCURED bacon in the microwave, not too crunchy. When they cooled, I broke the bacon up and added it to the top of the pizza. Wow. Everything was ready. The pizzas went back into the oven at 350 for 12 minutes.

Ok, I am so glad I came up with this one today because Ger just PR'd on Fran by 14 seconds!   2:33, baby!  Ger deserves my new Paleo Spinach Bacon Pizza!

I have a lighter pizza crust on this blog now that you might want to try. It has less almond meal and some coconut flour and arrowroot powder to lighten it up and make it closer to real pizza dough, but still PALEO. 

2 comments:

  1. We've not had this in a while and I was happy to hear it was being made tonight! I oohed and ahhed over the first bite. The combination of the rosemary with the smoky bacon was delicious! Thank you for another amazing meal, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this pizza today and it was DELICIOUS!!! I tweaked the recipe just a slight bit though. I made everything according to directions but, I added some chicken to the recipe and it was great. To all those who are non-paleo, trust me, you won’t miss the cheese on this pizza. It is packed full of good stuff and very filling. I will definitely make this recipe again!

    ReplyDelete