Monday, February 13, 2012

Broiled Grass-Fed Steaks and Roasted Harvest Vegetables


I hadn't posted a meal in a while because Ger was competing at the Voice of America Games at CrossFit Cornerstone on Saturday. His 1st place win made it the most amazing day! I want to give a shout out to the friends on FB that said that my meals were part of his win. I really believe that Crossfit and paleo go hand in hand - we've never looked back from taking them both on.

First, I checked my racks in the oven. (It's easier to do this when they aren't hot) I needed one in the center for the vegetables and one at the top to broil the steaks later. I hate when I forget this part.

Next,  I stabbed a butternut squash with a knife and put it into the microwave for 6 minutes to soften. Then I was able to cut it up into big chunks. Next I sliced long-ways 2 carrots. I thawed a bag of brussels sprouts. I cut up a small red onion. I placed all the veggies on a coconut oil covered cookie sheet. I took a TBSP more coconut oil and melted it in my hands and rubbed all the veggies, til coated. I spread them out and put them into a 425 degree oven for 32 minutes.

While the veggies cooked, I took out my thawed grass-fed steaks, rinsed them, cut them into portions ( they were all different sizes) and put them on another coconut oil covered cookie sheet. I rubbed them with Private Selection Asian rub and added a little sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

When the veggies were done, I took them out of the oven and turned it to broil. I put the steaks under the broiler for 6 minutes. Perfection! When they came out, we were ready to be cavemen!!!!!

Here's a pic of Ger's 1st place win at the Voice of America Games at CrossFit Cornerstone, Feb 11, 2012.  I am one proud mom! Food is fuel!

No comments:

Post a Comment