Thursday, February 9, 2012

Paleo Meatloaf with Spicy Kale Chips


I ordered some kale chips the other day and needless to day, they were inhaled! So, I looked around the paleo posts and came up with my own way. I'd bought 3 flavor profiles and Ger ate the whole bag of the spicy ones, so I wanted to spice mine up a little.

First, I took 2 lbs. of grass-fed burger and added sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, and a TBSP of dijon mustard. I mixed this with my hands and molded it into a heavy round pie dish. I put it into the oven at 350 degrees and started on the kale.

I tore a big bunch of organic kale off the stems and tore the leaves into bite-sized pieces. I washed it and dried it in another bowl with a LOT of paper towels because if you don't dry it, it won't get crispy. Then I melted 2 TBSP coconut oil and poured it on the kale. I mixed it with my hands to cover the kale. Then I added a big squirt of lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, and some chili powder. Then I spread the kale on a big cookie sheet and popped it into the oven with the meatloaf.

I guess the meatloaf was in the oven about 45 minutes and the kale for 15-17.
(Just watch it. You don't want to burn it. The kale chips shrink up some, so make plenty!!)

5 comments:

  1. Bruce and I have eaten kale chips for years but never with chili powder. I will be trying these soon. Thanks for posting. Oh, my boys even love kale chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually put seasoned salt but have put cheyenne pepper or Parmesan cheese (not for Paleo :) before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Thumbs Up, The kale chips were very tasty !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I did them tonight with smoked paprika and garlic powder. So good!

    ReplyDelete