Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Paleo Tender Steaks from a Tough Cut


Some cuts of steak are tougher than others, especially if they are grass fed and not of the HIGHEST quality.  Some of these include round, chuck, and flank. That's what makes them less expensive. This recipe will make these meats unbelievably fall-off -the-bone tender. My ancestors have been doing it for generations, and I've "paleo-ized" it for us all. The photo is of llama steaks, which tend to be chewy, unless I do them like this.

I put 2 TBSP of coconut oil in a big skillet and melted it over medium high heat.
I added the steaks and browned them on both sides.

I added:
1 small can tomato paste ( get the kind with no added sugar - always read labels)
1 can Rotel Original, including the juice (don't drain it!)
fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp smoked sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I put a tightly fitting lid on it, and turned the heat down.  Every 10 minutes I flipped the steaks, for 30-40 minutes. ( if your steaks are thicker it will take a little longer.)

This is an economical way to eat a great tender grass-fed meal. I set a timer for those 10 minute flips, and go throw in laundry, or blog, or fold a load of clothes. Everyone needs to make time to cook. It's doable. Be creative. Eat real food. It's so very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment