Thursday, January 23, 2014

Paleo Chicken Salad with Green Grapes


One good thing about snow days - I don't have to teach school - so, I make them count by going into "test-kitchen" mode. We've been out of school all week, and we have been eating very well!

I used to love making chicken salad with green grapes and TONS of Hellman's mayo and sugar, yes, sugar...... I really like this better. It doesn't take long for tastes to change!

I cooked 6 healthy chicken breasts in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, in 2 TBSP coconut oil and 1/4 cup water. I'd also sprinkled the chicken with just a little sea salt and black pepper. I took the id off and turned them over now and then. I cooked them until done, then let them cool off while I put the following ingredients into a big mixing bowl:

2/3 cup white onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups green grapes
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp basil
1 TBSP organic black sesame seeds

In a small bowl, I stirred up:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup organic coconut milk from a can

I poured this mixture into the large bowl.
I cut up the chicken and stirred it in.
I put the chicken salad into the fridge to get cold.

We ate it on romaine lettuce.

If you don't feed huge appetites, this recipe easily halves.


                                    This stuff is much better for you than the old stuff was!

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe Dinah! I've always much preferred paleo chicken salad. I wanted to share two twists on it that I really enjoy! I really love red grapes and course chopped celery chicken salad or grapes, roasted asparagus, and curried chicken salad. I make a sauce by sautéing some garlic, herbs, and spices (like tarragon and rosemary), and a little sea salt in some oil and lemon juice. I'll have to try doing this with the coconut milk! For the curry chicken salad I season the chicken with some yellow curry and also add a little to my oil and lemon. People love it!! If Ger likes those flavors, I recommend giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy ideas. I'll have to play with those flavors!

    ReplyDelete